With the global rate of electric vehicle (EV) adoption on the rise, both public and private fleet operators are making the switch to take advantage of the economic and environmental benefits. Electric vehicles and intelligent EV charging technology solutions are now making it hassle-free to reduce operating costs no matter what size or type of fleet. So, what are the main factors behind the transition? How can your business optimize and future-proof your fleet investments? Discover why fleet managers utilize EVSE infrastructure to improve mobility options, transition to clean energy, and streamline operations.
Global Electric Vehicle Penetration Shows Unprecedented Growth
Before you can understand why electric vehicles and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles are becoming favorable with fleets, you must realize why the auto industry has started to shift focus. With pricing becoming more competitive and regulatory issues emphasized, electric vehicles are becoming increasingly favorable with consumers and commercial businesses. This trend is lifting demand, adding production scale, and driving down ownership cost. In the past, electric vehicle demand was influenced by the environmental concerns of buyers and subsidies.
Source: Morgan Stanley Research (February 2021)
Charging Solutions For Electric Vehicle Fleets
Wherever an electric vehicle fleet might be, there are charging solutions that can meet their needs. EV chargers offer businesses additional benefits beyond just fueling and are efficient enough to reduce the total cost of ownership. As one example, EV charging stations can take advantage of integrated power management tools. They can automatically adjust power output depending on how many EVs are plugged-in and when electric rates are the cheapest. That means you can remove the risk of spiking demand charges and optimize charging times.
Example of the power management benefit using (4) 32-amp chargers on an 80-amp circuit.
Here are a couple of examples where public and private fleet operators are utilizing electric vehicle chargers:
Fleet Depot Charging
To best accommodate fleet depots, both Level 2 AC and Level 3 DC fast chargers can be put into place for flexibility. Operators can optimize their facility layouts more efficiently since chargers would install using individual pedestals or existing walls. Benefits of EV charging at depots include:
- Identify which vehicles are charged and ready to be used in service.
- Set access policies at the charging station that only allow authorized vehicles.
- Advanced power management and scheduled charging reduce energy costs.
- Cable management systems provide the appropriate reach to vehicles while keeping cables off the ground.
Mixed-Use Fleet Charging
Electric vehicle supply equipment (EVSE) can also facilitate mixed-use charging, which benefits locations that utilize non-fleet vehicles. With organizations looking to reduce expenses, mixed-use charging makes it easy to share those operational costs. Benefits of mixed-use charging include:
- All-inclusive site advantages like power management and cable management.
- Employee personal vehicles can charge during the day while fleet vehicles charge at night and on weekends.
- Set pricing policies for public charging (if available) to create additional revenue.
More Efficiency With Networked Electric Vehicle Charging Stations
Networked electric vehicle charging stations make fleet operations easier to manage. Ultra-fast EV chargers combined with wireless management software allow fleet operators to get real-time monitoring and generate detailed reporting. Operators can also understand more about their energy use, fuel savings, avoided greenhouse emissions, and more. OCPP-compliant software provides automatic firmware updates while support monitoring makes sure EV chargers are operating as expected.
Additional Considerations For An Electric Vehicle Adoption Strategy
With the growing acceptance of electrification, it is becoming imperative for municipal fleets and business fleets to evaluate the benefits of using a turnkey provider for EV charging infrastructure. With the right national rollout partner, you can deploy EV chargers with fleet management tools to save time and money. Benefits of using a turnkey installation partner consist of:
- Guidance for selecting the proper EV chargers and services for your locations.
- Dedicated project managers to ensure installations finish efficiently, safely, and within an established budget.
- A national network of qualified technicians who are aware of electrical standards and installation guidelines.
- Expertise in completing national program rollouts that include site surveys, project commissioning, installation, documentation, and support.
Want to learn more about EV chargers? Visit EV Charging 101 to learn everything you need to know about electric vehicle chargers. You can also learn more about our Level 2 and Level 3 DC Fast electric vehicle chargers here. Want to lead the charge for your property? Get a quote here.